Mental Floss recently came up with a list of 88 facts they believe everyone should know. Most of them are quite arbitrary, and even had us in giggles, but we feel that our artillery of random facts is much stronger because of it.
We picked a few of our favourites to share with you, but if you’d like to check out the full list click here.
Expresso’s Top 10 Facts
1. Catnip isn’t just for housecats—it affects lions and tigers too!
2. In the 1870s, a Belgian village attempted to train a fleet of 37 official mail cats to deliver letters. It didn’t work.
3. The cotton candy machine was invented by a dentist.
4. If you open your eyes in a pitch-black room, the color you’ll see is called eigengrau.
5. There may be no sound in space, but it does have a distinct smell: a bouquet of diesel fumes, gunpowder, and barbecue.
6. The FBI investigated the song “Louie Louie” because the agency thought the lyrics were dirty. After three months, the FBI abandoned the investigation because it couldn’t make out the words.
7. The national animal of Scotland is the unicorn.
8. Male caimans dance to impress potential mates.
9. PETA once asked the Pet Shop Boys to consider changing their name to Rescue Shelter Boys.
10. Fredric Baur invented the Pringles can. When he died in 2008, his ashes were buried in one.
You might also like
» What to do this weekend(29 May)
We've roped in some of the most social people we know to tell you what is going on in your city this weekend. [Click here to read more]
» South Africans try strange American snacks(17 Mar)
In response to BuzzFeed's Americans Try South African Snacks video, we asked South Africans to try a few unusual Yankie snacks! [Click for details]
» Comedian Nik Rabinowitz visits Expresso(02 Mar)
What the EFF? South Africa comedian Nik Rabinowitz joins us in the Expresso studio to chat about his new show, What the EFF? [Click for more info]
» Rob van Vuuren(25 Nov)
One of the most prolific players in the South African entertainment scene, Rob van Vuuren visited us at the Expresso Show. Watch here! [Read More]