Toilet rolls, wine corks, leaves, and vegetables? What is that all these bizarre but unique materials have in common? They can all give new life to plain cotton, an old canvas bag, brown paper, or even a linen shower curtain with just a simple printing process.
This is an easy way to spice up an old pillow case, and also a great way to make your own unique wrapping paper.
What you'll need:
- Wine cork/vegetables/toilet roll etc. (different printing options) - Marker - Box cutter knife - Ink pad (it’s permanent on fabric) - Fabric: pillow cases, canvas bag, linen, brown paper (different surfaces and textures to print on)
Steps for vegetable, leaf and organic printing options:
1. Paint the veined side of the leaf with dye or paint. Be sure to paint the stem too.
2. Position the painted side of the leaf or vegetable on the fabric, lay a piece of paper over it, and press the paper and leaf carefully into the fabric with your hands or a roller.
3. By giving the entire leaf surface a gentle rub, you'll ensure the most dramatic print on your fabric. Most dyes can be set with a vinegar bath or by ironing, but check the manufacturer’s recommendations for colour fastness.
Steps for wine cork printing process:
1. Draw out the pattern you like on the wine cork using a marker.
2. Carve out the pattern with a knife, making sure to be safe and careful when handling the knife.
3. Try out the stamp on a piece of paper.
4. Start stamping on the fabric!
Once you start printing your original designs you won't want to stop! You can make your own unique, detailed, printed original pieces with a few simple materials found around the home, and even your garden.